Start Playing Drums is a method book designed for adults who have never played the drums before. Contrary to popular belief, it is never to late to learn to play music. Even better, adults can learn faster than kids! This method book will show you how, teaching you the basics of playing the drums in rock, R+B and more.Get It Now On Amazon
Pictonotation serves as a bridge to learning staff notation
Unlike any other how-to-drum book currently out there, this book is specifically geared to adults. Maybe you always wanted to play, but for whatever reason it never happened. Maybe you left music-making behind at some point and want to pick it back up. Either way, this book is designed for you. It is a focused introduction on how to play music with other people. After working your way through this book, you will be able to play music with a band, have fun, and sound good. Even if you master only the patterns in this book, you will still be able to make music with your friends and convincingly fake your way through just about any song you hear on the radio. Maybe you won’t be able to play the exact pattern the original drummer played yet, or every fill, but you will be able to get the idea across in a way that you and the people you play with will enjoy. You will also get a firm musical foundation and a good practice method that will allow you to branch off in the direction you want to go after you master this book.
Why Choose This Book
- This is the only how-to-play-drums book written specifically for adult novices, adults returning to the drums and for other instrumentalists who want to learn the drums
- You want to learn how to make music, not just play notes.
- It has a practice method based on my professional and academic experience that you can use for any material, in any book
- You can work their own way through at their own pace
- The book and practice method are designed to fit different learning styles
- The book offers a unique notation system designed to make understanding what to do on the drums more intuitive and also to make transitioning to staff notation easier
What You Will Learn
- This book is not a compendium of everything you can do on the drums. Instead it is designed for people who want to start playing drums with other people for fun. Through working your way through this book, you will:
- Get to know the drum set and how to set it up
- Use basic drum technique
- Be able to play basic patterns and fills
- Know how to make those fills groove
- Understand what drums do in a band
- Have a system to take basic drum patterns, master them, and incorporate them into your playing
Reviews on Amazon
Best book and method I’ve found for learning drums
5.0 out of 5 stars
When my kids were grown and I decided to learn to play drums, I tried a bunch of different books and methods, and John’s is the best I’ve found. The book teaches drumming from all different angles– learning to play along with music, playing basic rhythms, reading music in both staff notation as well an easy, graphically understandable way– “here is the drum you should hit”– and many others. He explains everything clearly and understandably, and each section is full of interesting information and applicable methodology. You can employ the book sequentially, reading and learning from front to back, or dip into it, picking any section that looks interesting and engages you. He points out that learning an instrument should be FUN: that’s why it is called PLAYING. He is a very good writer and educator, making learning fun.
By Kelly Wood on March 2, 2015
This book does a great job of teaching total novices
5.0 out of 5 stars
I decided to take up drum playing at age fifty, having never once before held a drumstick. If you would have told me that in five months I’d be reading drum notes (I didn’t even know there was such a thing!) and playing along I’d have been dumbstruck. This book does a great job of teaching total novices, in a fun, non-intimidating, step-by-step manner. The “pictonotation” bridged the gap for me.
James A LaFlamme